Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And So It Begins

Yes, I am still alive!  Last few months has been dealing with sickness and a work schedule that has me working more hours.  Oh what fun!

And so it begins....

Great words when embarking on some grand adventure, project, scheme, etc.  It really sets the tone that something memorable will happen.  In this case it is referring to this years SOE Live (formally Fan Faire) cloak project.  I have been attending the event for the last several years and have always been impressed with the ingenuity and craftiness of those that decide to try their hands at costumes.  Last year I took my first stab at one.  I decided to recreate one of the cloaks found in game for Everquest 2.  It wasn't my original choice but with only 3 months to work with I went with option 2.  I chose a cloak entitled "The Cloak of Clockwork Dreams".  It was an experience to make and personally I think it came out looking gorgeous.  I didn't enter the contest with it.  It was just the cloak and really had no clothing to truly make it shine.  (Truth was I was too chicken to enter. :P)




This year I am creating the cloak I wanted to do last year.  This time around I have 6 months to finish it and an outfit to go with it. Even with the required procrastination time there should be enough time to accomplish everything.  This years cloak is entitled "The Cloak of the Harvester".  To obtain it requires a somewhat lengthy quest line where you go around harvesting a variety of fauna, rocks, and animals to get specimens for a delightful young boy named Qho, who is the quest giver.  (By the end every player is looking for an opportunity to have him take a long walk off a short pier.)

This years project:



To tackle something like this requires a great deal of reverse engineering with some creative liberties.  I don't believe game artist think "wonder if this can be recreated in reality" when designing clothing, armor, weapons, houses, etc.   Stay tuned for regular updates and whining!


"And so it begins..."
KOSH NARANEK
Babylon 5, Season 1, Episode "Chrysalis"  

Everquest 2 is the trademark and copyright of Sony Online Entertainment. In no way is it my original work.

No comments:

Post a Comment